Enrolling in a Political Party

There are two major political parties in the State of Connecticut (CT): Democratic and Republican. There are also several minor parties.

Enrolling in a political party:

  • You may enroll on-line if you have a Department of Motor Vehicles record on file or Social Security Card. 
  • New electors can complete Line 9 on the Voter Application Card.
  • If changing party affiliation, complete a new Voter Application Card and check the box marked "Party Enrollment Change".

You don’t have to enroll in a political party to vote in a general election.

State of CT’s major political parties require voters who switch parties to be members of their new party for 3 months before acquiring voting privileges in the new party. Unaffiliated voters acquire privileges immediately, provided that they have been unaffiliated with any party for 3 months.

For further information, please contact the Registrar of Voters at (203) 563-0111.