Historic District & Historic Properties List

List of Properties Within Wilton's Historic Districts

Historic District #1

  • Lambert Corners, 150 Danbury Road
  • David Lambert House, c. 1727 *
  • Wilton Railroad Station, 1852
  • Hurlbutt Street General Store & Post Office, c. 1889
  • Kent Schoolhouse, c. 1843
  • Davenport Barn, c. 1860
  • Outhouse, c. 1880
  • Cannon General Store, c. 1790
  • Corncrib, c. 1880

Historic District #2

  • Daniel Gregory House, 11 Belden Hill Road, c.1775 *
  • Alan Spirer House, 16 Deacon’s Lane, 1988
  • Original Congregational Church Parsonage, 65 Ridgefield Road, 1832 *
  • Old Town Hall, 69 Ridgefield Road, 1832 *
  • Congregational Church, 70 Ridgefield Road, 1790 *
  • Nathan Comstock House, 77 Ridgefield Road, c.1810 *
  • Winton House, 80 Ridgefield Road, 1926 *
  • Halsey House, 98 Ridgefield Road, 1934 *
  • Deodate Davenport House, 108 Ridgefield Road, 1791 *

Historic District #3 – Included with #5

Historic District #4

  • Hurlbutt Street Schoolhouse, 157 Hurlbutt Street, 1834 *

Historic District #5

Wilton Historical Society Museum Complex, 224 Danbury Road

  • Raymond/Fitch House, 1772 *
  • Betts/Sturges/Blackmar House, c. 1740
  • Basil Burt Barn, c. 1860
  • Abbott Barn, c. 1860
  • Abbott Blacksmith Shop, c. 1890

Historic District #6

Georgetown Neighborhood of Church Street, West Church Street, & Redding Road

  • 3 Church Street *
  • 23 Church Street *
  • 33 & 37 Church Street *
  • 49 Church Street *
  • 13 West Church Street *
  • 16 West Church Street *
  • 17 West Church Street *
  • 21 West Church Street *
  • 22 West Church Street *
  • 25 West Church Street *
  • 28 West Church Street *
  • 31 West Church Street *
  • 32 West Church Street *
  • 25 Redding Road *
  • 27 & 29 Redding Road *

Georgetown Neighborhood sout of Redding Road (Route 107)

  • 1 Church Street *
  • 12 New Street Terrace
  • 16 New Street Terrace
  • 17 New Street Terrace
  • 20 New Street Terrace
  • 10 New Street *
  • 20 New Street *
  • 24 New Street *
  • 28 New Street *
  • 34 New Street *
  • 38 New Street *
  • 42 New Street *
  • 48 New Street *
  • 49 New Street *
  • 50 New Street *
  • 5 New Street Extension *
  • 6 New Street Extension
  • 9 New Street Extension *

*Also listed on the National Register of Historic Places

In 1961, the Connecticut State Legislature enabled local municipalities to establish historic districts, and, since October 1, 1984, historic properties by ordinance, and to establish commissions which review and approve or deny alterations, demolitions, or construction of buildings and other structures within their boundaries and are visible from a public street, way, or place.

Historic Districts and Historic Properties are defined as “areas, or clusters of related buildings, or objects and structures, in a compatible setting which visually express styles and modes of living representative of various periods in American History.”  The purpose of local Historic District or Historic Property designation is to preserve and protect buildings and places associated with the town’s history

At a Wilton Town Meeting in 1963 an ordinance was adopted establishing Historic District #1.  Since then additional buildings were moved to the site, referred to as Lambert Corners, and the Board of Selectmen updated the ordinance establishing HD #1 in June 2005.

A Town Meeting in 1970 established Historic District #2: Wilton Congregational Church, Old Town Hall, and neighboring residences, #3: the Sloan-Raymond-Fitch House, and #4: Hurlbutt Street Schoolhouse

At a Board of Selectmen meeting in June 2005, Historic District #5: the Wilton Historical Society Museum Complex was created.  Former Historic District #3, the Sloan-Raymond-Fitch House, was moved to this site and is now included in this district; therefore, #3 was removed. 

The members of the Board of Selectmen voted unanimously on April 4, 2007 to create Historic District #6: Georgetown Neighborhood of Church Street, West Church Street and Redding Road.  The ordinance to officially establish Historic District #6 was approved by the Board of Selectmen on May 21, 2007.