I live in a Historic District, and have a fence running along the road by my house. I would like to replace it with a stone wall and a gate. Do I need a Certificate of Appropriateness? I am also thinking of building a chicken coop near the fence.

Yes. Because the stone wall and the chicken coop (or any other structure, such as a gazebo, tool shed, barn) can be seen from a public right of way, you would need a Certificate of Appropriateness before starting work on your projects. If you wish to simply repair the fence in the same style and material, a Certificate of Appropriateness would not be necessary. If visible from the road, the chicken coop would need to be designed and built in a style compatible with your home and neighborhood, and would need prior review of the Historic District and Properties Commission.