My house is located in a Historic District. I want to install new windows, replace the roof, and perhaps expand the kitchen. Do I need to involve the Historic District Commission?

Yes. You need a Certificate of Appropriateness approved prior to the start of any significant exterior work on your house which can be seen from the public right of way. The Commission works to protect and preserve the unique visual character of your neighborhood by reviewing proposed work plans and ensuring that they are in keeping with the character and style of the building/neighborhood. Click here to obtain the Application for a Certificate for Appropriateness.