The AARP tax-help program provides income tax preparation assistance for low and middle-income tax payers of all ages, with special attention to those 60 and older. Volunteers from AARP will be at the Wilton Senior Center in late February and early March of each year to assist with tax preparation. No appointment is necessary.
In order to prepare for your visit, keep in mind the following tips:
If married, both husband and wife must be present during an income tax counseling session. Taxpayers must bring all the documents they have received which apply to their income taxes including:
- Copies of income tax returns
- Social Security or Individual Taxpayer ID numbers for all household members and personal photo identification.
- A blank check with a routing number for a direct deposit refund request.
- All documents that relate to deductible expenses.
- All income report forms that have been received such as:
- SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement and RRB-1099-R, US Railroad Retirement Board forms.
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV, 1099-R, 1099-B, 1099-S, 1099-MISC).
- W-2, Wage and Tax Statement forms.
- W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings forms.
- Original cost of assets recently sold.
For information on Tax Relief and Exemptions, please contact the Assessor's Office at (203) 563-0121.