Where to Find Help When Facing Economic Hardship

The Social Services Department provides counseling, information, referral, and emergency financial assistance to Wilton residents. Our services are available to all residents however financial assistance has an eligibility screening. We encourage people to call our office to discuss our services. Confidentiality is assured.

There are State and Federal programs that are designed to assist individuals and families during difficult economic times. These services include fuel assistance, nutritional assistance and emergency financial assistance. Below are program descriptions, income guidelines, and links to state and local websites where you may apply directly for assistance.

Heating Assistance

The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) provides energy assistance grants to households with income no greater than 60% of the State Median Income to pay for heat. There are different asset limits for both homeowners and for renters. Retirement accounts are not counted as assets for those under the age of 59½. Contact the Social Services Department at (203) 834-6238 to apply.

Operation Fuel provides a one-time grant of $500 to low-income households for deliverable fuel. The program also assists with non-heat utility bills that are overdue. Income must be between 0 and 200% of the Federal Poverty. There is no asset test. In most cases, the CEAP funds must be used first. Contact the Social Services Department at (203) 834-6238 to apply.

Food Assistance

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is provided through the Connecticut Department of Social Services. For more information on how to apply for this program, please contact the Social Services Department or visit the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program website for more information and an application. Applications should be mailed to the Social Services Department.

The Wilton Food Pantry offers perishable and non-perishable food to eligible Wilton residents. 

Health Insurance

The State of Connecticut has partnered with Access Health CT, Connecticut’s health insurance marketplace, for health insurance enrollment. To find out if you qualify for one of the free or low cost insurance plans, please contact Sarah Heath at sarah.heath@wiltonct.org of the Social Services Department, visit the Access Health CT website, or call Access Health CT at (855) 909-2428.

Emergency Financial Assistance

The Wilton Community Assistance Fund and the Salvation Army have emergency funds available for Wilton residents in need. They help pay for emergency oil deliveries, utility bills to prevent shut offs, rental assistance, and other expenses. A financial application and a confidential appointment with Sarah Heath, Director, Social Services Department are required. Please call (203) 834-6238 to discuss these programs and to make an appointment.